Life before Girton
Qualifications: B.ed PE – Burwood Teachers College
- 1975 – 1979 – Haileybury College – PE and Outdoor Ed
- 1980 – 1985 – Billanook College – PE and Outdoor Ed
- 1986 – Holmesglen TAFE – Student Services Department
- 1987 – 1989 – Kingswood College – – PE and Outdoor Ed, Yr 7 Coordinator
- 1990/91- Carey Grammar – Junior School Sports Coordinator
- 1991/92 – Girton College – PE teacher
- 1993 – Present – Girton Grammar School – Head of PE and Cocurric, Boarding House Master, Head of Riley House, Head of Pastoral Care.
What I Love about Teaching
- Hopefully making a difference to young people’s lives
- Seeing the smile of success on young faces.
What is the best thing about teaching at Girton?
The staff and students which make it enjoyable to come to work.
The unwritten permission to create and innovate.
What do you like best about the subject/s you teach? (Senior School Teachers only)
Why should a student choose your subject?
Any student who plays a sport, engages in a physical activity, wants a career in fitness health, education and many more. In other words everyone should choose this subject.
What does your subject teach students applicable to outside of the classroom?
Physical Education is a lifeskill, knowledge base and allows students to make chices about lifestyle. It provides career training but life education. And most importantly it’s fun.
My favourite classroom activity
What classroom activity to you think the students most enjoy? Anything that takes them beyond their normal sphere of recreational operation. Lawn bowls, Rock Climbing, Ballroom Dancing, Korfball, Wheel Chair sports, Self Defence and many more.
What do you feel your students get out of this activity? The students can experience the activity and make informed choices as to whether it is a viable option in their leisure time pursuits. Many take on the unexpected and leave behind the traditional through these new experiences.
What difference can good teaching make?
Describe the traits of a successful student in your subject or class. Open to new experience, committed to having a go, giving themselves permission to have fun and laugh and go with their heart not others expectations.
What attributes of your own do you hope your students benefit from? Develop a sense of adventure and fun and not take themselves too seriously.
What co-curricular activities are you involved with at Girton?
- MiC Swimming
What are your passions or hobbies outside of work?
- Our little hobby farm
- my wife and family
- Collingwood Football Club