Life before Girton
- Attended Castlemaine Secondary College
- Held at least one part time job from the age of 14 years and 9 months
- Had a 3 year gap year working at the Bendigo Bank and various local Accounting firms
- Studied Bachelor of Teaching – Latrobe University Bendigo
- Studied Bachelor of Education – Latrobe University Bendigo
- Gained my first teaching position as Teacher of Mathematics at Flora Hill Secondary School
- Moved to the NT and gained employment as a Distance Education Teacher at Katherine School of the Air
- Became a fitness instructor taking group fitness classes (mostly at 6am). Gained Certificate IV in Fitness, and become a Les Mills Certified
- Instructor of BodyPump and RPM
- Moved back to Victoria and became a Teaching and Learning Coach for the Department of Education
- Currently at Girton Grammar School as a Mathematics Teacher and Facilitator of the new Sports Excellence Program
What I Love about Teaching
Teaching is a very demanding, yet rewarding career. The relationships you build with the students can make or break a student’s view on you, your subject area and your class. They can also make or break you as a teacher! I pride myself on building strong positive relationships with students and ensure parents are contacted weekly and informed of upcoming dates and events.
What do you like best about the subjects you teach?
I love Mathematics as a subject. I am a logical thinker and like to follow rules and formulas. Mathematics is used in everyday life, and the problem solving skills involved are transferrable and valuable to any prospective employer.
The Sports Excellence Program, has combined two of my passions; teaching and fitness. I get to train athletes within the school from a range of different sporting backgrounds. I am grateful to be given the opportunity to help produce and implement this program at Girton Grammar. I am able to work with parents, coaches and students to help them achieve their sporting goals. Having such a large role in this program would have to be the highlight of my teaching career to date.
My favourite classroom activity
I don’t necessarily have a favourite classroom activity, but I enjoy bringing humour into the classroom, and ensuring even dry content can be made more enjoyable with enthusiasm.
I love running group fitness classes for the Sports Excellence students and it’s also great to see their progression in such a short time.
What difference can good teaching make?
I’ve said it before, but it’s all about building positive relationships. When students respect you, and realise that you respect them, that’s when they are willing to put their heart and soul into a subject. Obviously students have subjects they enjoy more than others, but in saying that, a teacher can certainly have a huge influence on this.
My Co-Curricular Activity is group fitness. I instruct a low weight, high repetition class for around 16 students to help them improve their strength and muscular endurance.
Outside of school, water skiing is my passion and takes up every spare second I have. I have been skiing since I was 3 years old, and also became involved in waterski racing around 10 years ago. I am the current Australian Title Holder for Senior Women’s Ski Racing. I am spreading the word at every opportunity as I may never hold the title again.